Sunday, September 13, 2015

Adriana Reisser Justice Blog Post

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/02/us/arizona-pioneer-fire/index.html

The link I shared above leads to a story titled "40 years after epic Arizona hotel fire, convicted man set free".  It is the story of a then 16 year old boy named Louis Taylor.  He was convicted of setting the Pioneer Hotel in Tucson, Arizona on fire and killing 29 people as a result.  He was sentenced to life in prison at the age of only 16.  After 43 years in prison, forensic experts took another look at the case and deemed that they could no longer determine if the blaze was caused by arson.  Louis Taylor was set free after a second court hearing.  The former witnesses recanted their stories and the forensic evidence they had was no longer strong enough to convict Louis. 

This story reminded me of Plato's Crito because the Crito was all about Socrates being wrongfully imprisoned.  The dilemma in the Crito was that if you were wrongfully imprisoned, should you do everything in your power to get out or should you accept it because it is justice?  This article is clearly an example of just that.  Louis Taylor acted similarly to Socrates in the Crito because he took the sentence and did his time until someone justly came and set him free.  Additionally, the part about the Arizona Justice Project reminded me of Crito in the jail cell.  He was trying to convince Socrates to leave because it was unjust, and the Arizona Justice Project essentially does the same thing for convicted persons. They find ways to help them and prove their innocence in a just way. Overall, I saw almost the same story as Crito played out in a modern day setting.  Can you imagine going to prison for 43 years only to be proven innocent at the end?

10 comments:

  1. This is another sad story of how our justice system has let us down. I can't imagine the hardships this young man has gone through. I believe that he should have done everything in his power to get out of jail. But it is easier said than done. This is another example of elites serving up justice that is unjust to the defendant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that. Considering he was so young when this happened, it should have been handled differently. He probably wasn't aware of anything he could have done to help himself. Also, why didn't anyone look into the case sooner?? They waited 43 years to look back and say maybe this guy didn't do it. He could have had many more free years if someone had looked into this a long time ago!

      Delete
  2. I can hardly imagine going to prison for 43 years only to be proven innocent at last. Again, nobody is able to choose their born place, however, every body needs to strive to leave the country (or place) where they are being treated unfairly.
    On the contrary, I didn't see Louis Taylor that made much effort to strive to leave the "unfair place", because according to the article: "But the young man changed his story multiple times." Thus, I think it is Louis Taylor himself that gave up the chance to be proved innocent. Therefore, both Louis Taylor and officers were responsible for the sad story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with what you said about Louis Taylor not trying to get free. I think that if he had been more careful in telling his specific story and kept it the same the whole time he would have had a better chance at being proven innocent. However, I think we have to remember that he was so young when he was charged! It would be very intimidating to be that young and naïve being questioned by the police! Any of us could get tripped up and say something we didn't mean in the hopes of being set free!

      Delete
  3. I don't agree with the statement that Louis Taylor acted similarly to Socrates, because I do not believe the situations are comparable. Socrates was given a get out of jail free card by his friend, and willingly declined to escape. Louis was incarcerated in a prison facility where the ability to escape is not prevalent and we can not speculate on what he would have done if given the opportunity.

    While we strive for perfection in our legal system, it is an unattainable goal. This does not mean that we make every effort to attain it however. The reality of the situation is that mistakes occasionally get made, and we must do our best to reconcile with those against whom we have done wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you think they could reconcile it? An innocent man was sent to jail for 43 years. What could reconcile that? Also, I wasn't saying he acted exactly like Socrates. I'm saying that he was wrongfully imprisoned but stuck out his sentence until it was justly reconciled. I think that if Socrates had been given a more just way out of jail than what Crito had proposed, he would have taken it. Louis Taylor didn't break out, he waited for a just group of people to help him achieve his freedom.

      Delete
  4. I completely agree with you. It's pretty sad how often stuff like this happens. It really is exactly like "Crito." Wonder what the kid's cellmate was like. Anyway. yes, I think he should've tried to leave, though it's not as simple as just walking out the door. I guess he has too abide to the laws of an unjust social system, making him a just citizen, but seriously, I would not have been against him trying to leave. Good connection, Adriana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad how often people want to find someone to put away so that it looks like the crime was taken care of. This was a prime example of that. I agree with you that I wouldn't have been against him trying to get out either.

      Delete
  5. I cannot even fathom going to prison for 43 years for a crime I did not do. It would make me resent and question the justice system we have set in place. If I were him and knew I was not guilty, I would have attempted to prove my innocence. Considering how young he was when we was convicted though, I do understand why that would be so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. At my age now I would not know what to do, let alone at 16! I think it was definitely unjust that they convicted him so quickly, especially since it is a basic right to have a fair trial in the U.S.

      Delete