Sunday, October 11, 2015

Security or Freedom?

Governments have always limited it's citizens freedoms and/or privacy to provide measures of security. In London there is cameras all over the place to attempt to lower the crime rate in the city.  The US for years profiled its citizens for years to try to identify potential terrorists targets, and everyone has been fine it.  This all changed though when Edward Snowden brought forth the severity of the spying the agency is doing.  The whole country was blind to the fact that the NSA was monitoring everything they were doing and once they knew they called for it to end.  Mr. Snowden's thoughts on the program ending/reformed summed up the nation's thoughts nicely, "Ending the mass surveillance of private phone calls under the Patriot Act is a historic victory for the rights of every citizen, but it is only the latest product of a change in global awareness..."  

Due to situations like the NSA we have to examine if it is worth giving up rights and privacy in order for security to be provided to us.  In this specific situation was saw that people were not in favor of giving up their privacy, but is it like that in every situation?  Personally I am fine with the government restricting some of my liberty or freedom and even taking away some of my privacy if that guarantees me some security.  I have the mind set that if I am not doing anything wrong then there is nothing to worry about.  

7 comments:

  1. I agree that some freedoms should be given up in order to maintain security. However, I have no interest in the government knowing my personal business without a warrant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,

    I want to push you on your last line. Can you be certain that the government would be able to perceive that you are doing nothing wrong? What if you were a muslim or an african american or some other group, would you feel the same way? In other words, do you trust the government to be able to accurately distinguish those doing right from those doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I agree with you. I am okay with the government taking away some of my freedom if it means that I am ensured to be safe. I don't mind them listening to my conversations or anything. Especially because it is on a mass level, and they aren't necessarily looking at me as an individual. I don't mind some of my privacy being taken if it is for the greater good of us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that one of the governments primary goals is protecting its citizens. I agree with you about being okay with the government taking away some freedoms if it resulted in more safety. What I would not be okay with would be if the government were to take away my freedoms, but not for the sake of my protection. If the government started taking away my freedoms and not doing anything in return, I would fear the power of the government.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also agree with the point that we need to give up some rights if the government can offer us protection for return. And your last sentence: "if I am not doing anything wrong then there is nothing to worry about," really make sense to me, since I am not doing anything wrong and I'm not the only person whose freedom has been taken away, I'm fine with the government if the government can offer me protection for return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree with the point that we need to give up some rights if the government can offer us protection for return. And your last sentence: "if I am not doing anything wrong then there is nothing to worry about," really make sense to me, since I am not doing anything wrong and I'm not the only person whose freedom has been taken away, I'm fine with the government if the government can offer me protection for return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i agree that i do not mind giving up some of my liberty and freedom for security. If you have nothing to hide from the government then i do not see why the NSA would spy on you. I think the people who are against the NSA could be mad because they are hiding something.

    ReplyDelete